Advice Column: Energy Bills

Thursday 19th April 2018

As part of the Citizens Advice Exeter and The Express and Echo weekly advice column we focus on energy bills.

 I’ve just received a £2,000 gas and electricity bill for payments going back two years. I’m not sure if I owe this money – what should I do?

The first thing you should do is work out whether your energy supplier has made a mistake. Your supplier may have the wrong meter reading or your meter may not be working properly. They may even have sent you someone else’s bill. Take a meter reading then call your supplier to discuss your bill. Last year we helped with 215 enquiries about fuel debts.

If your supplier hasn’t sent you an accurate bill for more than a year, they shouldn’t ask you to pay for more than 12 months’ usage. If you think your supplier is at fault but they are still trying to charge you for energy used more than 12 months ago, make a complaint. They should look into your case and provide an explanation. Ofgem has announced that it will ban such practices, known as the ‘back-billing principle’ by writing this into supplier licence contracts.

You may find that your supplier has billed you for the right amount and they are not at fault, particularly if you haven’t provided regular or accurate meter readings. In this case you will probably have to pay some or all of the money. If you don’t think you can afford to pay all at once, ask for a repayment plan. Tell your supplier how much you can afford each month. Be ready to give details of your income and regular spending. You may find it helpful to send them this information in writing too.

For more information and advice go to

Look out for our column next week when we focus on maternity entitlements for self-employed women.

 The information contained in these articles does not constitute advice. Citizens Advice Exeter and The Express and Echo accept no liability for the information published. Citizens Advice Exeter is unable to respond to individual requests for advice through these columns. Copyright Citizens Advice. For the most up-to-date information, please visit