Advice Column: Parcel Delivery

Thursday 25th January 2024

As part of the Citizens Advice Exeter and The Express and Echo weekly advice column this week we focus problems with parcel deliveries.

 I bought my mum a birthday present from an online store. I paid extra for next day delivery but it hasn’t arrived. I tried to contact the delivery company but wasn’t able to speak with anyone. The online store has said my parcel is with the delivery company and should arrive soon.  If it doesn’t arrive soon, I won’t be able to send it in time for her birthday. What can I do?

You paid for next day delivery so your goods should be delivered on the agreed date.

Because you bought something from a business to be delivered to you, it’s the seller’s responsibility to make sure the item is delivered.

As the seller used a courier, they should chase the courier to find out what’s happened to your order – it’s not your responsibility.

If you want the item:


  • Under the Consumer Rights Act, you can ask the seller to deliver the item again if the item wasn’t delivered by the agreed date.


Other steps to take if you want the item could be:


  • Cancel your original order and reorder it again from the same or a new online store
  • Check if a local store stocks the item(s)
  • Keep trying to contact the delivery company via tracking tools, phone, or email


If you want to cancel your order:


  • You can cancel and ask for your money back because you haven’t received your goods on the agreed date.
  • Tell the seller that what has happened to your order is “a breach of contract under the Consumer Rights Act 2015” – as the delivery date was essential and they didn’t meet it.


You can find useful template letters and information about your rights at Alternatively, you can call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133.


The information contained in these articles does not constitute advice. Citizens Advice Exeter and The Express and Echo accept no liability for the information published. Citizens Advice Exeter is unable to respond to individual requests for advice through these columns. Copyright Citizens Advice. For the most up-to-date information, please visit