Advice Column: Employment Tribunal Fees

Thursday 1st February 2018

As part of the Citizens Advice Exeter and The Express and Echo weekly advice column this week we focus on arrangements for claiming back employment tribunal fees.

In 2016 I paid fees to take my employer to an employment tribunal. I now hear that the fees have been scrapped. Am I able to claim the fee back?

These changes are because the Supreme Court has decided employment tribunal fees are unlawful. The Supreme Court is the UK’s highest court.

You can get a refund if you paid fees at an Employment Tribunal or Employment Appeals Tribunal between 29 July 2013 and 26 July 2017.

In the last year we have helped with 1152 enquires about employment issues, including employment tribunals.

Before you start, check what fees you paid. For example, look for bank statements, cheque stubs or copies of forms you sent to the employment tribunal. Also look for copies of any tribunal judgment, settlement agreement or agreement from Acas early conciliation – called a ‘COT3 agreement’.

You can apply online if:

  • you haven’t changed your name since you made the claim to the tribunal
  • your claim was against one employer
  • you have a UK bank account

Otherwise, you can apply by post or email.

Details of how to apply online, and the forms for a postal or email application can be found at

Look out for our column next week when we focus on pay and entitlements at work.

 The information contained in these articles does not constitute advice. Citizens Advice Exeter and The Express and Echo accept no liability for the information published. Citizens Advice Exeter is unable to respond to individual requests for advice through these columns. Copyright Citizens Advice. For the most up-to-date information, please visit